Do you want the Road Tax system to change? Do you have thoughts on the potential changes to the Road Tax system? | No thanks

How can I register a trailer with the DVLA in order to then register it in Bulgaria?

I have a trailer with a weight of 600kg unladen and 2500kg laden that I want to register in Bulgaria. The authorities there will only accept a V5 or similar as proof of ownership. The DVLA just keeps sending me a pre-written email saying there is no requirement for trailers to be registered in UK, but this may change in 2012. The trailer manufacturer has offered to sell me a certificate of conformance, but this will be of no use to me in Bulgaria. Is there anyone at the DVLA who would be able to convert this into a V5 or equivalent?

Asked on 3 July 2010 by Alan Happy

Answered by Honest John
No answer. But a common question that also applies to caravans and to Eastern block HGV trailers.
Similar questions
My son currently lives in Bern and runs a Swiss-registered Volkswagen Multivan. He intends to return with his family to the UK in July, although will remain resident himself in Switzerland, commuting to...
Because of my age, 72, I am restricted to towing a small trailer (gross weight 750kg). How can I upgrade my driving licence to tow a bigger trailer, say 2500kg? Also, I have a tractor - does the trailer...
I'm considering purchasing a car with an interesting number plate (to me). It's not a private or cherished number, but the original plate from new. When I come to sell the car, I'm aware that I can apply...

Ask Honest John Right column

Value my car