I don't want my Ford Ka written off in case of an accident - can I downgrade the insurance?

Should I reduce my insurance due to the age of my 13-year-old Ford Ka? I have fully comp, legal and no-claims discount cover for £250. Very occasionally my son, who has his own car insurance, drives it, and I have him as a named driver. In case of any damage, I wouldn’t want it written off but repaired as it is such a reliable and cheap-to-run car.

Asked on 28 April 2012 by PE, London SW15

Answered by Honest John
Switching to Third Party, Fire and Theft does not usually decrease the insurance premium because TPFT policies have a worse claims record. But even with comprehensive insurance, virtually any bump would write the car off, so if one happens you would be faced with having to pay to get the car repaired anyway. Catch 22.
Similar questions
I'm interested in buying an accident-damaged car to repair. The car hasn't been written off, but the guys selling it (and others cars) buy their cars direct from a particular insurance company. Apparently,...
I'm looking to purchase a 2016 BMW 1 Series M Sport, but they are out of my budget. However, I have seen a Category D write off with a front wing replacement. It also has a small dent in the chassis. It...
I have been unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident. My Ferrari has an agreed value over £200,000 and repairs are circa £90,000 - however I don't want it repairing. I will not have confidence...
Related models
Excellent drive. Strikes a fine balance between handling fun and ride comfort. Plenty of used ones around. Peanuts to run if you find a good one.

Ask Honest John

Value my car