Can you recommend a small, comfortable car?

I currently have a Mercedes-Benz C180 coupe. It is a very pleasant car to drive - albeit expensive if it has a fault. I am expecting to move near to family and will have a small off road parking space - about 4 metres in length max. I am a fan of MINIs, although that is not my only consideration. I want something that has a comfortable ride, great seats, quiet and cheap/reliable to run. Speed is not of importance. I like well designed, interesting interiors. Can you recommend a suitable MINI or maybe something else? I would prefer not to spend more than about £8,000-9,000 which is about the value of my Mercedes.

Asked on 27 January 2022 by Robert Heywood

Answered by Russell Campbell
If comfort's really what you want, I would steer clear of a MINI – they sell on their 'go kart' handling, but comfort takes a hit in the pursuit of this. If your heart is set on one, have a look at the MINI Paceman. Its almost-an-SUV body means it's a bit softer riding then the other models (Countryman notwithstanding). It looks like a regular hatchback that's bloated.

The Citroen C4 Cactus' styling tends to make it a marmite choice, but they're more comfortable than a MINI particularly if you get a high-spec face-lifted car that comes with the progressive hydraulic cushion suspension, which makes it very soft and floaty. Factor in its thickly padded memory foam seats, added sound deadening compared to the old model and the cruising refinement of its three-cylinder PureTech petrol engines, and it's hard to beat for the size and price.

We have reviews of both:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mini/paceman-2013/

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/citroen/c4-cactus-20...t