Which hybrid SUV would you recommend purchasing new or nearly new?

I'm an engineer and if I were designing an electric vehicle, it would have an electric variable speed motor in each hub, some onboard electrical charge storage, an intelligent hub to manage and deliver power, and also control traction, along with a lightweight petrol engine to deliver additional charge when required. Is that what the motor industry is delivering? Also, which hybrid SUV would you recommend purchasing new or nearly new? Many thanks.

Asked on 6 December 2020 by Hugh C.

Answered by Russell Campbell
Motor-on-each-wheel technology is expensive but ultimately where the industry will go because of the limitless handling possibilities. That said, expect a motor on each axle to remain for a long time to come, I've heard the industry has barely scratched the surface of what it can do with torque vectoring etc.

The BMW X5 PHEV has excellent real-world electric only range – although the battery's have been recalled due to fires... Not so good. For reliability, you can't go wrong with the Toyota Prius PHEV or, indeed, any Toyota HEV – the current Corolla and Yaris are both excellent.