Do insurers know about the DVLA's 11-month licence extension?

I learned recently that driving licenses expiring this year have been extended by 11 months. Are the authorities and insurance companies aware of this? When I renew my car insurance in December for January 2021, should I make them aware that my license expires on 27/12/2020 and that I could be driving around for the majority of 2021 with an apparently invalid license? Will the license, when re-issued, be backdated to retain the original renewal anniversary date?

Asked on 2 October 2020 by

The initial extension from the EU expired at the end of August, so (in September) DVLA agreed on a further extension (which includes all licences and entitlements, except provisional) with the EU to the end of December 2020. The DVLA told us: "We have engaged with the insurance industry to advise them of these changes, but drivers should check with the individual insurance providers if they have any concerns. The extension is automatic so drivers do not need to do anything and will be sent a reminder to renew their licence before the extension ends. If a driver chooses to renew their licence in the meantime the quickest way to do this is online. If you are driving abroad, you will need to renew your licence even if your expiry date has been extended. When licences are renewed at the end of the 11-month extension, the start date will be from the date they are issued."