Why hasn't the DVLA responded to me for over a month?

I've had to surrender my medically-restricted, yearly license for a year on medical grounds. It was due to expire November this year and I was planning to reapply in September. Unfortunately, I need to surrender it again. I have tried to call, email and go online to do it, or at least talk to someone. I sent all the documentation, my license and a cover letter back to them on the 4 May. I've had no response yet. I have taken myself off the road, but if it gets lost in the backlog, where do I stand? It took them over two years last time due to their errors and incompetence. I want my licence to return on 4 May 2021.

Asked on 8 June 2020 by Mark S

Unfortunately you appear to be one of many that's suffering from DVLA delays during the coronavirus lockdown. They've admitted to long delays, and haven't been accepting paper applications for a few weeks due to the virus. Emails and calls are currently being used to prioritise key workers so you're unlikely to have much luck there for the time being. Last week, the DVLA announced that it was extending photocard renewals by seven months, but not driving entitlements. In short, this means that photocards that expire between 1 February and 31 August 2020 will automatically be extended for a further seven months from the date of expiry: www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/coronavirus/2020-06/dvla.../

I would give it a couple weeks and try again with the calls and emails. Keep on at them is our only advice, but we think it's fair to assume they have a huge backlog of applications.