How do I claim compensation from a driver who wasn't insured?

There was a crash outside my property. Two cars collided and one hit my garden wall. Both drivers ran off but the police traced both. The driver who hit my wall is blaming the other driver. His insurance company deny fault. It transpires the other driver is not insured and was over the limit at the time of the crash. I paid for the repair to the wall myself (£1350) as it was unsafe and tried to pursue reimbursement through a third party claim via the courts. It has dragged on for 18 months. Legally, who is liable if the other driver was not insured and the driver who hit my wall is denying responsibility? Surely not me as I was asleep at 4am when this crash occurred.

Asked on 14 April 2020 by Antony Clark

Answered by Tim Kelly
The vehicle insurer that covers the at-fault vehicle is liable under the Road Traffic Act. If the car was not insured, you would need to claim via the Motor insurance Bureau.
Similar questions
A friend asked if someone with whom he had done a house and car swap, could drop off his car at my house. When the car arrived he had his wife and two teenage children with him. They needed to go to the...
We have an allocated underground parking bay in our apartment block and we were unable to access our parking as the entrance gate to the parking lot was blocked by a crane doing some repair works on the...
My boyfriend used my car without telling me. Guess what? I got a call that he had an accident - what do I do? Am I now liable for this?

Value my car