Our car was backed into whilst stationary. The other party wants to pay for damages but should I still tell my own insurer?

Our car was backed into whilst stationary. The other driver accepted liability and wants to pay for the damage subject to estimate. I have not yet been provided with his insurance details and will insist these are provided to me. What should I advise my own insurer as I am not at fault?

Asked on 2 March 2020 by Patrick Gallagher

Ensure that you get his insurance details and get the claim sorted. You do not need to notify your insurer now (you only need to notify your insurer when they are at fault and hold a liability), although you will need to notify when the policy is up for renewal. Should you experience any difficulties with him, or his insurer, then claim via your own insurer.
Tags: insurance