I put the wrong year of a speeding conviction when applying for insurance and am now being charged to cancel - is this right?

My car insurance was up for renewal so I went to a price comparison site and picked the one I thought was the best option. I gave them the details of two speeding convictions which they accepted. A week into my insurance I got a phone call informing me that some of details that I had given were incorrect and that I needed to check the dates of my speeding convictions - I had told them 2016 instead of 2017. They explained that it is going to cost £65 more but if I want to cancel it will be £50. Can they do this?

Asked on 20 January 2020 by

Yes. The duty lies with you to enter the correct details. www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/6/contents/enact...d Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012

Your error could have led to them not paying out in the event of a claim. If the policy is less than 14 days old, you can cancel at no charge under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act, as part of the provision of what was distance selling regulations.