I put the wrong year of a speeding conviction when applying for insurance and am now being charged to cancel - is this right?

My car insurance was up for renewal so I went to a price comparison site and picked the one I thought was the best option. I gave them the details of two speeding convictions which they accepted. A week into my insurance I got a phone call informing me that some of details that I had given were incorrect and that I needed to check the dates of my speeding convictions - I had told them 2016 instead of 2017. They explained that it is going to cost £65 more but if I want to cancel it will be £50. Can they do this?

Asked on 20 January 2020 by

Answered by Tim Kelly
Yes. The duty lies with you to enter the correct details. www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/6/contents/enact...d Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012

Your error could have led to them not paying out in the event of a claim. If the policy is less than 14 days old, you can cancel at no charge under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act, as part of the provision of what was distance selling regulations.
Similar questions
My car was damaged recently. I contacted my insurance and they gave me two options: claim through them and I would have to pay my excess or go through a claims management company that they deal with at...
In a recent question, your answer to a minor no claim accident was it should not affect the cost. I know of an incident where someone hit a deer and contacted the insurer and after finding that the excess...
My wife had a non-fault personal injury accident some time back and obviously contacted her insurance company. Her insurance company in turn put her in touch with a Claims Management Company who (from...

Ask Honest John

Value my car