Do I have to pay my excess in the event of a no-fault accident?

I was hit by a car whose driver did not give way to right on a roundabout. I was told this is a ‘no-fault’ incident but have £150 excess + £150 voluntary excess on a fully comp policy with 19 yrs NCB. Will I have to pay £300 of the repair costs or does the at-fault driver’s insurance cover it?

Asked on 5 November 2019 by Derek Sansom

Answered by Tim Kelly
If claiming through your own insurance, you have to pay the excess initially and then claim this back through your legal expenses/uninsured loss recovery. If the third party admits liability then there should be no reason why your insurer should charge any excess as they will be able to recover it for you. Alternatively, use a claims management company, that way you do not need to pay it.
Similar questions
My wife was hit from behind and shunted into the car in front, which shunted into a car in front of it. The impact was low and everybody stated they had no injuries. The driver who hit my wife admitted...
How do I recover my uninsured losses following a no fault car accident?
I am 70, have a clean licence and no claim discount of 15 years. A deer ran out of a forest causing £5000 worth of damage to the front offside of my car. I phoned the insurance company to report the incident...

Ask Honest John

Value my car