Some years ago when I enjoyed the benefit of a company car, the insurance cover included a courtesy car in the event of a prolonged breakdown as well as the results of an accident causing the car to be off the road. Do you know of an insurance company that offers this service? I can only seem to find cover in the event of an accident and with my main dealer being 30 miles from my home when the car is off the road this causes a degree of inconvenience. The dealer (Mercedes) never seems to have a courtesy car available.

Asked on 6 February 2010 by T.H., Crook, Co. Durham

Answered by Honest John
These used to be provided by the bodyshops that repaired the cars, not by the insurers themselves. What has now happened is that 'Accident Management' (Credit Hire) operations have sprung up that put you in an equivalent car (usually a new one) at a very high rental rate that they try to claim back from the insurers. If they cannot get the money back, you are liable. One reader was hit with a bill for £29,000 for 4 months hire of a Mercedes C-Class. He could have bought a new one for that.
Similar questions
My son was recently pulled over on the M27 in Hampshire and the police then realised that his driving licence had been revoked, his car was impounded and he was forced to make his own way home. The licence...
My husband sold a car for £50 scrap on 30/12/09. The tax was due to be up on 31/12/09. We informed the DVLA by sending them the slip from the logbook confirming it had been sold for scrap. We moved home...
I have just checked the MOT certificate that came with my secondhand Hyundai Santa Fe, and on the model it says 'Sonata' not Santa Fe - does this matter at all?

Ask Honest John

Value my car