I will be returning to UK after four months in Spain but my MoT has expired - can I drive my car home?

I will be returning to UK after four months in Spain. My MoT has expired while away. Can I drive my car home from Dover without an MoT?

Asked on 8 September 2019 by Mike Mundy

You can, but the car will not be road legal in either Spain or the UK. Most ports have ANPR cameras (which check the insurance, tax and MoT status of the car) and this means you are likely to be pulled over by the police upon your arrival. You may need to pay for it to be transported from Spain. Once back, you will legally be able to drive it to a pre-booked MoT appointment.