Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

I will be returning to UK after four months in Spain but my MoT has expired - can I drive my car home?

I will be returning to UK after four months in Spain. My MoT has expired while away. Can I drive my car home from Dover without an MoT?

Asked on 8 September 2019 by Mike Mundy

Answered by Dan Powell
You can, but the car will not be road legal in either Spain or the UK. Most ports have ANPR cameras (which check the insurance, tax and MoT status of the car) and this means you are likely to be pulled over by the police upon your arrival. You may need to pay for it to be transported from Spain. Once back, you will legally be able to drive it to a pre-booked MoT appointment.
Similar questions
Is there a way to get a SORN'd car from A to B without insurance and tax? Would an MoT appointment qualify (even if it has just passed one)
I saw a traffic enforcement camera vehicle near a school with the council logo on the side. I heard these are monitor parking and issuing PCNs to those who park illegally near schools. Do these also issue...
Can you drive a SORN vehicle on the road to an MoT test appointment?

Value my car