Do I need to tax and MoT my car if I am not using it due to ill health?

Do I need to tax and MoT my car I am not using due to ill health?

Asked on 18 January 2022 by audrey jones

Answered by Dan Powell
Yes and no.

If the car is parked on a public road then it must be MoT'd, insured and taxed at all times.

However, if the car is away from the public road (on your driveway, for example) you can place it on SORN and get a refund on the road tax VED. A car on SORN doesn't need insurance or an MoT either, but I would recommend keeping the insurance - otherwise, you'll be uncovered in the event of a theft.
Similar questions
My car is currently on SORN and it needs some work before it will pass the MoT. I know I can drive my insured but SORN'd car to a pre-booked MoT without a valid MoT or road tax. However, if the car fails...
I will be returning to UK after four months in Spain. My MoT has expired while away. Can I drive my car home from Dover without an MoT?
Is there a way to get a SORN'd car from A to B without insurance and tax? Would an MoT appointment qualify (even if it has just passed one)

Value my car