I borrowed my dad's small van and was stopped and fined for having no insurance despite having full comp cover?

I have fully comprehensive insurance and borrowed my dad's small - non-commercial van. I was pulled by the police and was given a penalty of £300 and six points on my licence. I was told I could not drive any kind of van on my fully comp insurance.

Asked on 6 September 2019 by holly mills

The first question is how old are you? Just because you are fully comprehensively covered does not mean you are automatically covered to drive other vehicles. What does your certificate of insurance say? If it says you are covered to drive any other vehicle not owned by you, contest it in court. If the van was not being used in the course of business or for payment, you are fine as long as your certificate of insurance says you are insured.