I'm moving house - do I need to inform my insurer of an address change immediately?

I’m moving house in August from an urban to a rural address, some 70 miles away. My car insurance renewal is due some 19 days later. Would it be cheaper to let the existing insurance run to its end and take out a new policy at the new address, rather than notify a change of address and pay the high fee just for the 19 days?

Asked on 1 August 2019 by Ken Hunt

Answered by Honest John
You MUST contact the insurer they day you move to advise of the new "home address". If you do it online, often you will not get charged. If not and contact the insurer and have a chat with them and seek their advise and make them aware you may well change your insurer at renewal if they charge you.
Similar questions
I've just moved house. I told my insurer, Saga, and they charged me £42 for the change. Do you think this is right?
A friend was involved in an accident involving a motorcyclist. When driving slowly in the outside lane, a motorcyclist filtering on the nearside of the car hit the side of his car fell off into the road....
I have just renewed the insurance on our car. The renewal premium was quoted at £211 as against £142 for last year - a rise of nearly 50%. On examination, I discovered that the full premium had actually...