How can I get car hire excess insurance if I don't live in the UK?

I live in Switzerland and travel back to UK regularly, often needing to rent a car. I used to be able to buy excess insurance for car hire on an annual basis, as a Swiss resident, from UK firms. However although several still offer this type of policy (and it is usually very good value being much cheaper than buying insurance from the hire companies), they all now restrict access to UK residents only. Is this because non-UK resident drivers are a poor risk or is there some regulation which prevents them from selling policies to non-residents?

Asked on 13 June 2019 by Michael Lawson

Answered by Honest John
Yes, it is generally because non-UK residents are a higher risk. This company does provide Insurance for hire vehicles for people from Switzerland. It does confirm this one their website.
This company also provides it

For more on car hire excess insurance, go here:
Similar questions
I am going to be hiring a car in Switzerland in September for a week. I've never driven abroad, I do have 30 years of UK experience. Do I need a driving permit and I read somewhere about a pass for motorways?...
Our daughter has just suffered a rear-end shunt sustaining severe damage to her Audi. Fortunately, she is signed up with the Audi Ensurance scheme who will deal with the claim for her alongside her regular...
My son took his Dacia Duster in for its first service and was given a loan car. There was a fault on his car and a replacement part is needed but it is not known when this will be available in the UK....

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer