What kind of chemistry do you have with your car? Love it? Loathe it? Let us know and you could win a £300 John Lewis voucher | No thanks
Ask a Question

Do I need a vignette to drive in Switzerland?

I am going to be hiring a car in Switzerland in September for a week. I've never driven abroad, I do have 30 years of UK experience. Do I need a driving permit and I read somewhere about a pass for motorways? I have seen a website about a company called carhireexcess.com, maximum cover £7500 but we're getting a Volvo. Is it best to arrange my own car excess or use Europcar? Anything else I need to do with regards to hiring?

Asked on by

If you're driving in Switzerland you won't need an International Driving Permit until the UK leaves the EU. A reflective jacket and a warning triangle are compulsory and must be kept within easy reach (not in the boot). You must also have a first aid kit in the car but if you're hiring a car in Switzerland all this should be provided with the vehicle. Also, note that radar detectors are prohibited in Switzerland whether in use or not.

You will need a vignette (sticker) to drive on motorways or you can face large on the spot fines. You can buy a vignette at most border crossings, petrol stations, post offices, by phone (+800 1002 0030) and online: bit.ly/2JCDpGM. The price of a vignette is currently CHF 40. However, if you're hiring a car in Switzerland, it should already come with a vignette. It's best to double-check in advance.

If you're hiring a car, it will be cheaper to organise your own excess insurance ahead of time. You can find the best providers here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/insurance/cheap-car-insurance.../
Similar questions
I live in Switzerland and travel back to UK regularly, often needing to rent a car. I used to be able to buy excess insurance for car hire on an annual basis, as a Swiss resident, from UK firms. However...
I have a holiday booked for Italy in September this year. I intend to hire a car as the resort hotel is quite a distance from the airport and private transfers are expensive. Do I require an International...
I know I'm not the only one going to Europe over half term who is concerned as what precautions to take when we travel out while in the EU and return after a probable Brexit. What will be the changes for...

Ask Honest John

Value my car