Do I need a vignette to drive in Switzerland?

I am going to be hiring a car in Switzerland in September for a week. I've never driven abroad, I do have 30 years of UK experience. Do I need a driving permit and I read somewhere about a pass for motorways? I have seen a website about a company called carhireexcess.com, maximum cover £7500 but we're getting a Volvo. Is it best to arrange my own car excess or use Europcar? Anything else I need to do with regards to hiring?

If you're driving in Switzerland you won't need an International Driving Permit until the UK leaves the EU. A reflective jacket and a warning triangle are compulsory and must be kept within easy reach (not in the boot). You must also have a first aid kit in the car but if you're hiring a car in Switzerland all this should be provided with the vehicle. Also, note that radar detectors are prohibited in Switzerland whether in use or not.

You will need a vignette (sticker) to drive on motorways or you can face large on the spot fines. You can buy a vignette at most border crossings, petrol stations, post offices, by phone (+800 1002 0030) and online: bit.ly/2JCDpGM. The price of a vignette is currently CHF 40. However, if you're hiring a car in Switzerland, it should already come with a vignette. It's best to double-check in advance.

If you're hiring a car, it will be cheaper to organise your own excess insurance ahead of time. You can find the best providers here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/insurance/cheap-car-insurance.../