Can I apply to get back categories on my driving licence that I lost?

When renewing my driving licence at 70, I didn't apply to retain the right to continue to drive vehicles up to 7000kg. However, having enjoyed a motorhome for the last two years, I would like to be able to drive a vehicle over my current 3500kg. Can I apply for another licence with the previous gross weight limit?

Asked on 1 November 2018 by Eric Moore

Answered by Honest John
Yes. You will need forms D2 and D4. Some Post Offices can supply you with a pack or you can order the forms from here: / You then need to undergo an eye test (which is free) and a medical examination by your GP (I had to pay £60). You'll probably need a fresh countersigned photo. Then, eventually, you can bundle it all together and send it off. The whole process (including getting an appointment for a medical at your GP) can take a couple of months.
Similar questions
Can a twin axle motorhome be driven on a standard UK full licence at 77 years old?
When I turned 70 I only got a B+E, I had my C1 and C1+E. I am now 74, can I apply to get my C1+ E reinstated on my driving licence?
I passed the driving test in 1989 in France and converted it to UK driving licence in 1998. I'm looking at motorhome and just realised my licence does not include C1 so they took the assumption my licence...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer