Can I drive a twin axle motorhome as I am over 70 years old?

Can a twin axle motorhome be driven on a standard UK full licence at 77 years old?

Asked on 10 October 2023 by Phil the Great

Answered by David Ross
Your entitlement to drive this vehicle depends on both its weight (the maximum authorised mass, or MAM) and also the entitlements on your licence. As you likely passed your driving test before January 1st 1997 you would have had a C1 entitlement which would allow you to drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes. However, unless you specifically applied to retain these categories when you renewed your driving licence when you turned 70, these entitlements will have been lost.

You can reapply for them via the DVLA but you will also need a medical report from your doctor, and you can obtain the forms required to do so on the DVLA website here:
Similar questions
I turned 70 in 2017 and renewed my driving licence by post as I wanted to retain my C1 category to drive a 7.5-tonne horsebox. However, for some reason, I no longer have the C1 on my licence. Can I have...
When I turned 70 I only got a B+E, I had my C1 and C1+E. I am now 74, can I apply to get my C1+ E reinstated on my driving licence?
When renewing my driving licence at 70, I didn't apply to retain the right to continue to drive vehicles up to 7000kg. However, having enjoyed a motorhome for the last two years, I would like to be able...