I bumped a car in a car park - should I settle the claim myself or claim from my insurer?

I bumped the car next to me whilst parking. The owner has obtained an estimate for repairs of £550. I currently have six years No Claims Discount, which will reduce to three years if I claim. There's no significant damage to my vehicle. I'm tempted to settle directly by paying for the repairs with my own money, rather than reporting the matter to my insurer. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Asked on 18 June 2018 by Martin Wheatley

Answered by Tim Kelly
There is no reason why you cannot, as long as it was not on a public highway. If it was, you must contact your insurer and advise them that you are making them aware for "informational purposes only". It is a requirement under the Road Traffic Act where there is potential for a claim to be made. An insurer would argue that you should tell them regardless though. Make sure any agreement with the other party is made in writing so you have evidence.
Tags: insurance
Similar questions
Do you have a list of good car insurers? My premium has just been increased by 20% - which I think is rather unreasonable. No doubt you know of other insurance companies who are not quite so expensive.
My insurance on one car is due to renew shortly. It's a three-year fixed price deal. In January, I made a claim on my other car (mouse damage to engine wiring) with the same insurance company. I'm the...
A family bought a property nearby and they obviously buy and sell cars from it. I've seen cars from the lot with adverts in the windows and they park them in the high street and drop them back later. They've...

Ask Honest John

Value my car