Do you recommend ceramic polish to protect paintwork?

I've been looking at wrapping or ceramic polish to preserve my car's paintwork and keep it looking good. Wrapping is pretty pricey, so what do you think of the ceramic polish paint treatment?

Polish is basically a cutting compound that shines paint by removing the oxidised top surface. You mean 'coating'. Some people swear by it. I simply use Autoglym Hi-Def Wax. But there is a new type of invisible, flexible plastic paint protection film to cover vulnerable parts of a car's body to protect against stone chips, bird lime, etc. Plastic film rather than a liquid coating: www.invisiblepatterns.com; www.5starshine.com