Should I get legal cover on my insurance policy?

I'm in the process of renewing my car insurance and they are asking if I want Legal Protection (£30 extra). I know there are some firms that will cover you for that alone and for a lot less money. Are these firms reliable and safe to use?

Asked on 16 May 2018 by Frank Renner

Answered by Honest John
You can get legal protection on your home insurance, so you may not need it. There are current changes happening to the criminal bill currently going through the House of Lords, they are looking at changes to the small claims threshold in raising the limit from £1000 to £5000. This means that if you have an accident and get whiplash, you will no longer be able to get a solicitor on a 'no win, no fee' basis, also known as a 'conditional fee arrangement'. You would have to fund your own solicitor to claim for your injury, and you may not be able to recover these fees from the at fault party. It's quite literally eroding your legal rights to claim. As such, I highly recommend purchasing a policy that provides cover for legal costs. Make sure that you read the entire policy. Alternatively, sign up to and get it for free.
Similar questions
Am I obliged to use my insurance company's body shop for road accident repairs or can I use a Mercedes-Benz approved repairers?
A young girl ran across the road without looking and hit the passenger side wing of my car. Very fortunately I was not going fast having just turned in to the road and the young girl has not been injured....
I went to visit my parent's house and the owner of another car came onto my drive and claimed I hit their car in the night while they were visiting. The owner was very abusive to me, so I called the police...