How do I purchase Gap Insurance on my pre-reg car if I'm not the registered keeper yet?

I bought a pre-registered car with 10 miles on the clock recently. However, as it's classified as a demo model, the Mazda dealer tells me they must keep the V5 for 90 days. When trying to purchase Gap Insurance (I declined Mazda's offer), I read that I must be the registered keeper. in the Terms and Conditions. Am I the keeper in the eyes of the insurer? If not, how do I resolve this situation?

Buy the car in 90 days rather than now and wait until it's yours. Ignore what the dealer is telling you. The dealer needing to pre-register to hit his sales targets is not your problem. You need the V5 to be in your name.