I got a cracked alloy welded rather than replaced - could this invalidate my insurance?

When my Mercedes-Benz C-Class was about three months old, during a safety check, the dealer discovered one of the rear wheels was cracked (pot hole I guess - but no loss of pressure). Rather than pay £600 for a new one, I paid a local specialist welding company to repair it. The car is now just over three years old and I was told recently this could invalidate my insurance in the event of an accident. Is this correct?

Asked on 14 May 2018 by LPG

If you had an accident as a result of the wheel failing, then yes, technically you could have your insurance invalidated because you were aware of it. Welding alloys is a big no, I definitely would never have it done. If it is fractured, bin it. Imagine if your wheel failed and, as a result, it killed somebody for the sake of £600. Has the repaired alloy been x-rayed or dye tested?
Aluminum needs to be stuck in an oven to get extremely hot before being welded, especially if it cast/forged. Few specialists have the facilities to do this.