BMW X2 (2018 on)

Fuel economy
Tax/Insurance/Warranty costs
Experience at the dealership
How practical it is
How you rate the manufacturer
Overall reliability

Very well thought out design

This model with 2 litre petrol engine comes only with an auto gearbox and is front wheel drive. After nearly 50 years of driving only manual cars the auto has taken some time to accept, however I can’t really fault it. The 7 speed DSG changes up imperceptibly, the only clue being a slight kick from the rev counter. Changing down is a little more noticeable, mainly when approaching traffic lights on red, trying not to come to a complete stop before they turn green. My main concern was how it would handle steep gradients, once again the performance is faultless, knowing instinctively not to change up as you accelerate up the gradient, or slow down to meet a bend. It also holds onto gears where a steep descent requires a low ratio. The downside is that the lack of a manual gearbox and clutch does make for a less engaging driving experience.

The quality of fit and finish is faultless, the minor controls are very well thought out. As I also drive my wife’s Mini I have been grateful for the similarities in the designs and operation, which has spared me part of the steep learning curve.

The satnav and connected drive experience is particularly impressive. This model has a head up display (HUD), the current speed and legal limit are shown in the field of view, and are also kept up to date with temporary changes from road works. The display is excellent, very clear and relays the route instructions to the HUD. Programming from voice commands has been easier than I expected, though I would welcome a more thorough owner’s manual giving a list of commands recognised.

The car is very comfortable and quiet, the only noise I hear is from the run flat tyres. Most pleasing of all has been the fuel economy. It has averaged 45mpg over the 1000 miles I’ve had the car, and on a recent trip to Scotland the 170 mile journey average was 54mpg. Outstanding for a 2 litre petrol engine in a 1.4 tonne SUV.

Report as offensive