Any - Snow time - hillman

It's snow time again. Our Avenue is already sloping to an extent that tests cars in slippery conditions, but the increase at the end to meet the camber of the 'main' road defeats many. Some drivers have to try repeatedly and then come back with a shovel to clear the packed snow. At one time I used to go out and clear the snow so that I could get out, but now that I have a Subaru Outback I leave snow clearing to those younger than I.

This morning I helped push one car driven by a young woman (I think) over the brow. It never ceases to surprise me that people don't bother to clear the snow from their car windows before setting out. Don't they want to see sideways ?

Any - Snow time - Collos25

Is it not an offence in the UK to drive a car with snow on it in such a way it inhibits vision or could cause pedestrians or other road users grieve.I remember when I was first in Germany getting a real telling off by the Post Lady for not clearing the snow off my car before I tried to move.

Not being able to tell the difference between sexes is that an age thing .

Edited by Collos25 on 21/01/2013 at 14:51

Any - Snow time - daveyjp
Snow simply proves the fact that 50% of people who drive have an IQ below average.

I must thank our gritting teams though who have made an excellent job of keeping the bus routes clear. I had no trouble getting where I wanted to be earlier on and on my trip saw three gritting teams.
Any - Snow time - RT
Snow simply proves the fact that 50% of people who drive have an IQ below average.

Only if you're taking the median - if you take the mean average, more than 50% are below average because that is skewed by a small number of very intelligent people.

Is there any evidence that driving ability relates to IQ ?

Those with dyslexia rarely score well in IQ - Sir Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Richard Branson, Sir Winston Churchill and Sir Jackie Stewart were all dyslexic.

Edited by RT on 21/01/2013 at 16:07

Any - Snow time - unthrottled

Only if you're taking the median - if you take the mean average, more than 50% are below average because that is skewed by a small number of very intelligent people.

Hmm! This is true for wages where the mean wage and median wage differ markedly because the top 1% earn many times what the "average" earner does. But a very intelligent person might have an IQ of 'only' about 180.

Any - Snow time - Bobbin Threadbare

IQ is only a measure of how well one solves little puzzles.

On the other thread the picture of the Audi covered in snow is a perfect example of stupidity...!

Any - Snow time - daveyjp
The idiot who decided to use our local green and children's play area to test his Discovery 4 wheel drive system is certainly many sandwiches short of a picnic.

Any - Snow time - jamie745

Well we had quite a lot of snow where I am but the weatherman was right about one thing - it's fluffy snow. It's not taken long for the road to clear and pavements to improve, the stuff doesn't stick together like you'd expect. It's true when they say there's many types of snow.

I was up at the crack of dawn (no jokes please) and opted to dig the abandoned and neglected 406 out of the snow. Hadn't moved for weeks and was beyond the red on petrol last time I was in it. Started first time, popped it in D and off I went.

I could've taken the S-Type but there's always a higher chance of some pleb driving with snow over the windscreen, going in the back of you at traffic lights and the like.

Any - Snow time - unthrottled

Thought the gearbox on that was shot? A game of petrol gauge chicken spices up every commute.

The gearbox works it's just very lumpy on the change from 1st to 2nd. It's less than intuitive but it gets the job done. I take my cars to a man called Steve who is essentially Yoda, I trust whatever Steve says. Steve said some sensor being replaced would help it and he was right. It's still not brilliant but I'm not spending more money on it.

I've driven three automatic French cars now and have concluded the French make dreadful autoboxes.

I put £10 in by the way :P

Any - Snow time - MikeTorque

Does the battery stay up ok on the 406 ?
Definately the sensible choice of car to drive considering the weather and mobile hazards out there.

Battery's fine, it had a new one a couple of years ago for the first time since it was built.

It's a good car for snow, small wheels, good tyes, decent ground clearance, surprisingly bombproof despite the fact we keep being told French cars fall apart.

Any - Snow time - MikeTorque

The 406 was a decent and highly rated car during it's era, it sold in high numbers as well and had sensible sized wheel/tyres fitted.