HELP! Insurance pickle - Ubermik

I have a car thats insured and had been thinking of buying a newer one. Dropped on one that seemed like a good buy and bought it on the spur..I've now found out in detail how the continuation of insurance thing works and that if a car is declared sorn the tax is imediately cancelled.

So firstly what options do I have if any other than SORN which will lose me the tax already on the car which apparently I cant even reclaim UNTIL I have a log book in my name or taking out a full years second policy with no no claims only to cancel it in a month or so when I have put the private plate from my existing car on retention and sold it so I can move my main policy?

I tried two temporary insurance companies but for some reason when I gave them the reg number it came up that none of their underwriters would give insurance for the car, So any ideas about why that might be would also be appreciated.

Also, what kind of penalty am I likely to get as its taken me 4 days to figure this all out so it seems I am already guilty of having a car with no insurance. And even if the person I bought it off changed the date I bought it that would mean they would would be liable for those same days even though they had already cancelled their insurance ready to sell the car.

I have always tried my best to stay legal but this stuff just seems like its designed to cause people problems and cost them more money either by losing tax or by getting fines and just feels ridiculous and at the moment I'm in a bit of a panic mode tbh so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated (sorry this is all in one lump, for some reason it wouldnt let me add paragraphs :( )

(Edited - I've put some in for you - I hate software too!)

Edited by Avant on 23/11/2011 at 23:14

HELP! Insurance pickle - Dwight Van Driver

No Long Book for new car. Insurance Brokers won't touch........sounds very dicky. Been a write off?

Old car - Taxed Insured.

New Car - No Tax, No Insurance.

Ask Ins Co for old car to transfer to new car (if they will).. (if they won't you have problems.)

Declare SORN on old car and collect refund on Excise... sell/dispose of.

New Car - Now hopefuilly Insured. Take out Tax at local DVLA Office without V5 and use

Simples?

That

Edited by Ubermik on 24/11/2011 at 12:26

t su

Edited by Ubermik on 24/11/2011 at 12:43

Something keeps eating my replies lol. Third time lucky I hope
When I spoke to the DVLA they never mentioned the option of doing it at the DVLA office, they just flat out said I couldnt tax it until a log book had been issued in my name