Car Insurance from More Than - Caution! - Andy P
The annual scramble to find cheap(er) car insurance began, and I soon found quotes cheaper than my current insurer (More Than). However, I soon discovered that one More Than have their claws in you, it's hard to escape.

Why?

Becasue More Than treat four years no-claims bonus as maximum, and no matter how many years you have above this, they won't prove evidence to corroborate this. The difference between four years and six years no-claims can be £150 or more, as I have just discovered.

I intend to write to More Than to discuss this, as I feel it is a deliberate ploy to prevent you from moving to a different insurer.

Do any other insurance companies have a similar policy?

Andy
Car Insurance from More Than - Caution! - volvoman
I've been with More Th>n for several years and I'd be interested to know what you find out Andy.

I'm hoping that the relevant term is 'maximum' and that this is what counts, not the number of years it took to get their. Another one for Mark to deal with methinks !

Keep us informed anyway. Cheers.
Car Insurance from More Than - Caution! - volvoman
Get 'there' I meant.
Car Insurance from More Than - Caution! - Andy P
I tried to change to Endsleigh. When they asked for proof of my no claims bonus (7 years), all I had was the letter from More Than. This reads:

"Don't risk losing your 65% No Claims Bonus.."

"Your renewal premium...it includes 4 years maximum no claims bonus"

When I phoned More Than, they said that this was all the proof they would provide - you could have four or forty years and it would make no difference - the only evidence you'd get would be for four years.

The original quote I had from Endsleigh (to whom I'd told I had seven years co-claims) suddenly shot up by £150 when I told them More Than would only provide evidence for four years. I've written to More Than, asking them about this. I'll let you know what happens.

Andy
Car Insurance from More Than - Caution! - martint123
Andy, I read that as you having four years at the maximum NCB rate - so how many years to get there plus 4.

I've started to keep old renewal notices just in case (and they don't take much room up.

I've always said how many years I've had and left it to the new insurer to get details from previous ones - they all seem to talk to each other without problems.
Car Insurance from More Than - Caution! - Sherwood
I would agree with martin123 If you want to change companies I would think that the new company,wanting your new business would check on their network system for proof of your N.C.B.
Car Insurance from More Than - Caution! - volvod5_dude
Andy,

Sounds like sharp practise on the part of More Than. Thanks for bringing this up as I am presently shopping around for insurance, I will certainly give More Than a miss. Perhaps you should also write to the Insurance Ombudsman and your local Trading Standards Office and really "stir it up".

Best quote I've had so far for my 2002 Volvo V70 D5 SE is £368 including no claims protection from Tescos. This is over a £100 cheaper than Volvo insurance.

Has anyone had any problems with Tesco motor insurance?

Cheers

Andy.

Car Insurance from More Than - Caution! - RogerL
There is no requirement that all the evidence of no-claims bonus has to come from the last insurer. The way round this is to declare to the new insurer how many years without claim you have. If they require evidence, then your last insurer will provide, say only four years, evidence for earlier years coming from earlier insurers. You may need to retain details of insurer and policy number going back say seven years. I have never experienced any problem despite my various insurers having maximums between 4 and 7 years.

The above probably only works for totally claim free periods. If your bonus has been reduced from, say 5 to 3 years becase of a claim, and built back up to 5 years, my method may not be acceptable to the insurer.