One car, two drivers, both with own NCD - bazzaman

Until recently both my wife and I had our own cars separately insured (both with maximum NCD) in our respective names (with the "other half" as named drivers on each policy) .

I've now sold my car and may or may not get another car in the near to medium future.

As, without insurance, acceptance of NCD lapses after a year or two (varies by insurance company), I have been considering whether it is worth the effort of flip-flopping the insurance on my wife's car. I.e. one year insured by her (with me as a named driver), followed by another year insured by me (with her as a named driver) in order to keep both our NCDs current.

Does any know of any flaws in this approach?

One car, two drivers, both with own NCD - bathtub tom

I've done that without any apparent problems.

One car, two drivers, both with own NCD - RT

I've done that without any apparent problems.

+1

One car, two drivers, both with own NCD - KB.

You don't have to swap every year. Most of the the companies I asked said two years - and the Co-op is three years.

Ring round and ask. The question they will all ask, obviously, is...who is the main driver? and it's up to you to answer honestly. If you both drive a similar mileage I can't see a problem. If one of you does all the driving and you swap round bi-annually then I imagine you'd, technically, be risking a refusal of a claim if they found out......

Agree it's a slightly tricky one if you both want to keep a treasured and valued N.C Bonus.

One car, two drivers, both with own NCD - daveyjp

My parents are just about to do this as my mum hasn't had a car for a couple of years but has many years NCB. They intend to swap the policyholder every couple of years.

One car, two drivers, both with own NCD - unthrottled

It's a stinker. Why should you lose your NCD after two years non renewal? There can't be any actuarial evidence to support this policy! After all, when you buy a policy, they make the last 5 years of your driving history their business.

I've lost valuable NCD in this manner.

BTW, Can't imagine that a mature husband and wife team would ever accused of 'fronting'. Since one driver is not sugnificantly more expensive to insure than the other, there is clearly no deception. Fronting really only applies when high risk drivers are squeezed on as named drivers.