Outstanding motoring fines when someone dies? - wiltshire_driver

What happens to oustanding motoring-related fines when someone dies? Do they get written off?

Someone I know died recently after several weeks of illness and during that time it appears they incurred one or more fines for no MOT and/or no insurance and/or no road tax.

The deceased's partner is worried about whether they will be liable for these fines, even though they don't drive.

Will the deceased's car get towed and crushed?

Outstanding motoring fines when someone dies? - FP

I believe that when someone dies with an unpaid debt that debt continues to exist against the estate of the dead person. I would have thought that an unpaid fine would be the same.

I doubt that the deceased's car will be seized - more likely the executors will have to settle the fine out of the deceased's estate. If they were skint and it means selling the car, so be it!

Outstanding motoring fines when someone dies? - SlidingPillar

Strictly, it's a debt on the estate. The car is also now owned by the estate so unless the law has been written to seize the driver or their estate's property - the latter of which I very much doubt, it can't be seized.

Hopefully the executors are the sort of folk who'll ring up and explain. I'm guessing there is a good chance at some of the debts being written off as payment from estates can be slow.