09 plate winners and losers - harib
Now that we're well into '59' plate territory, I thought I'd ask your opinions on who were the main winners and losers between March and September 2009? The combination of the recession and increased car tax for larger engined cars does seem to have changed things somewhat.

From what I have seen

Winners:

Ford Ka/Fiesta - I must admit I have trouble telling them apart sometimes
Fiat 500 - Appears to be the new cool car
Hyundai i10 - Cheap and cheerful - especially with scrappage
Golf Mk VI - Despite delays in orders, I'm seeing loads of these now
Audi A4 - Appears to be the new company car of choice where I work

Losers:

Anything with a big petrol engine. Obviously it's hard to tell with vanity plates, but I haven't seen any 09 plate Range Rovers, 7 series Beemers, very few MPVs and ever fewer hot hatches (although the latter may be due to young male drivers not being able to get finance).

What have you seen (or not, as the case may be)?

09 plate winners and losers - paul2007
ka & fiesta - look the same, even parked together along road, unless side by side - as second hand car prices go up, so do new - wait until lat Dec for deals

Covsider a Micra
09 plate winners and losers - frazerjp
My Dad has bought an 09 plate Toyota Prius (the new shape), I've yet to see another yet.
Does anyone reckon these will catch on eventually, especially with the congestion charge etc ???
09 plate winners and losers - Dave_TD
I haven't seen any 09 plate Range Rovers, ...hot hatches

I have, I live in a not especially prosperous part of the Midlands and the top-end stuff seems to be selling as well as ever this year - Just lately I've seen 2 Rolls Royce convertibles, 3 Ferrari Californias and more '09 plate Leon Cupras, Focus STs (especially in orange) and Range Rover Sports than you could shake the proverbial stick at.

So from experience I would suggest the recession-proof buyers remain so.

Dave TD
09 plate winners and losers - Avant
"My Dad has bought an 09 plate Toyota Prius (the new shape), I've yet to see another yet.
Does anyone reckon these will catch on eventually?"

There are lots of old shape Priuses in London, where they make very good sense. The new one should have wider appeal as the petrol engine is more powerful and it may be less disadvantaged on motorways.

When my daughter and I were ordering her next Yaris (her fourth) the ever-helpful salesman at Octagon Bracknell offered me a run in a new Prius for a few hours, even though he knows I have a 4-month-old Octavia and won't be changing for some time. It'll be in a fortnight's time and I'll start a thread with my impressions.
09 plate winners and losers - DP
There are lots of old shape Priuses in London where they make very good sense.
The new one should have wider appeal as the petrol engine is more powerful and
it may be less disadvantaged on motorways.

The old ones don't seem too shabby, if the numbers I see at 100+ mph in lane 3 are anything to go by.

I often find myself wondering what fuel returns they get driving like that.