99 2.0 Front suspension collapse - Greenman
110bhp diesel: with a distinct crack, both sides of the front suspension of this car seemed to collapse, simultaneously and at low speed. The engine stalled and would not re-start. Suspension on both sides appears to be down on the stops.
Suspension on one side giving up I can understand, but both sides at the same moment? Anyone any ideas?
99 2.0 Front suspension collapse - Screwloose
Greenman

Not uncommon for both front springs to break simultaneously. Make sure that the broken ends aren't catching the inner walls of the tyres.

Push down the rubber inertia switch button under the bonnet and the engine should restart.
Hi Screwloose,
I could understand both springs going if the car had hit a real trench in the road, but it had not. But once the garage has the car in the air we'll see.

I don't know if it will be worth getting this 1999 car repaired, much as I like it very much. Nobody can get to the source of the engine vibrations at idling speed and just over 1000 and 2000 revs. No load on the engine - just hit the right revs to get the bad vibes. The front crankshaft damper was replaced a couple of months ago, so I worry about the flywheel - dreadful stories about these. I have no idea what it would cost to replace the flywheel, if it was the source of the problems.
99 2.0 Front suspension collapse - Screwloose
Greenman

If it's down on the stops, then I can't see it being much else but two failed springs. I came across a 206 a while ago that suffered double broken front springs - while it was parked...!
99 2.0 Front suspension collapse - able1

Highly probable one side failed instigating failure of other side.

ie n/s spring fails due to inferior quality steel, extra load is instantaneously transferred to o/s similarly weak spring which fails within split second thus giving impression both failed simultaneously.
Able,
One of the front springs was replaced recently and the only way I noticed anything wrong was a "click" when you turned the steering - the suspension had not dropped appreciably on that side of the car. The current state is that both front wings have dropped so far that you cannot see the tops of the front tyres - it looks as though the suspension is right down on the stops.
However, all my specualtions will soon be at an end when the garage gets the car up in the air later on today. I'll let you know what they find.
Anyone know how to diagnose a dual mass flywheel about to give up?