Engine Warning Light and consequent disaster. - stim
Hello all,well i am in a fix here,I bought a 2nd hand 2004 Jag XKR 22500 miles F.J.S.H, last May '07,that still had 4-5 weeks Manufacturer warranty on it. Got it supplied by a v.reliable, v. local car dealer,and was initially thrilled.....then after 7-10 days-250 mls, an amber engine warning light came on with "Restricted Performance" in the message center,so I rang the local main dealer,they said bring it down,and we'll look at it. They cleared the light and i took it home,it comes on again on the way home. I ring them,they say,we'll book you in,they seemed to think it was a gunged-up EGR valve assembly,they cleaned it up,while i was there,took it home,same thing happens on the way home,so they book me in to spend more time on it,i leave it with them for a week,pick it up same thing happens,amber light appears!!! This has been ongoing since June,the end of my warranty,but they said "don't worry,you got the problem logged before the warranty ran out,so no need to worry,we'll get to the bottom of it". It's now December, and the car has been going back & forth to them,and they have examined exhaust Cat sensors,the exhaust Cats,EGR valve,Air flow,supercharger, checks for air leaks,then last week,they said they had finally found the fault,an ECU circuit leak on the Left Hand Wiring Harness,so they ordered one,fitted it,then said I had to pay for it because it was now out of warranty!!! I objected saying they hadn't actually fixed the fault that i had reported under warranty,originally,that this had been going on far too long,and that i'd been there 4 times for repairs and had a courtesy car 4 times. Then they unbelievably said they had me logged there only 3 times! And that this was a different fault than first reported!!! They wouldn't budge at all,and suggested that I go to my Car Supplier (an ex jag dealer 20 yrs ago,still is a car dealer,repairer/renovator to this day) that i got the car from. Well basically,there was a bit of a barney between them,and the main dealer said the best they could do was a 50% off offer of £480,that I had to agree to it before 5.30pm,or pay the full cost £960,or have the car back unrepaired! Extremely unhappily I went with the 50% reduction offer,which my car supplier payd for,while spitting feathers. They fitted the harness,another week went by,they put 200 more miles on it,then called me to pick it up,which i did,it had one drip of fuel left in the tank as usual,so i filled it up,made for home, and yes, you guessed it,Amber Engine Warning Light appears, with"Restricted Performance" in the message center. So I went back,they said it may need an replacement ECU,or go back to Jaguar,which could be costly. I said it won't cost me a penny,cos I ain't paying. But,seriously, Where The Heck Do I Stand In All Of This Mire,surely this is not up to a fair trading standard? I am very disappointed,this car has done no miles 25700,and I have hardly driven it anywhere,but to & fro to the main dealer. I was going to keep this car for the rest of my life,i bought it with compensation money from a motorcycle RTA,i lost a leg to get this car,and i'm completely gutted,and feel let down by the manufacturer who don't want to honour a warranty. If You can help,or You know where i can find him,maybe i can hire the Honest John Team!!! Many Thanks for reading this depressing needless drivel. Thanks Again.

slt

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 13/12/2007 at 07:41

Engine Warning Light and consequent disaster. - jc2
You claim to have been let down by the manufacturer when you do not appear to have contacted them-try contacting them,not the dealer.
Engine Warning Light and consequent disaster. - Collos25
Your actual claim is against the seller it was his and only his responsibility to have it repaired if he wanted to send it to the agents under its warranty it was upto him not you,go to the trading standards office with all the facts,inform Jaguar of the total story.
Trading standards should pursue the seller for a full refund of the car as it is not of merchantable quality which I think you will be entitled to, or an absolute gaurantee that it will be repaired plus a cast iron statement for repair of future problems.
Engine Warning Light and consequent disaster. - Armitage Shanks {p}
I am really sorry to read your tale of woe. I see you were posting at 0430 so you aren't sleeping well - obviously! I agree with all the replies so far and would add that I do not think you have any direct gripe with Jaguar in their capacity as the manufacturer in that your warranty is with the supplying dealer. However, they may well wish to get involved and I suggest that you report this dismal tale to them asap and good luck. Equally, the car is clearly unsatisfactory and there must be some mechanism for returning it as not of merchantable quality and getting a full refund - Trading Standards, solicitor's letter etc.
Engine Warning Light and consequent disaster. - cheddar
>>Your actual claim is against the seller it was his and only his responsibility to have it repaired>>

Not entireley, the car was sold with remaining manufactures warranty, in effect part of the value of the purchase was that warranty, had the manufacturer not hounoured the warranty then the sole onus would be on the seller however the manufacture's rep, the dealer, did honour the warranty.

Grey areas - as long as the OP has reported the warning light each time and left the dealer to diagnose the warranty is intact though if he, for instance, said that the EGR valve is gunged up because he supsected that to be the cause of the light then if the light then comes on again and it is a different cause the dealer can say 'new problem'.

However the OP reported a problem and it is still unsolved, and from what has been said it is still clearly the same issue, the fact that the warranty has subsequently expired is irrelevant, that is more of a reflection on their ability to diagnose.

Yes if you want the car fixed write to Jaguar customer services or if you want a refund talk to the seller and subsequently perhaps a solicitor.
Engine Warning Light and consequent disaster. - DP
Jaguar come out pretty well in the surveys every year, so maybe a well worded letter to their customer services department might bear fruit.

I think Cheddar's last sentence ^^^^^ sums up your options very concisely.

Cheers DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
"Not entireley, the car was sold with remaining manufactures warranty, in effect part of the value of the purchase was that warranty, had the manufacturer not hounoured the warranty then the sole onus would be on the seller however the manufacture's rep, the dealer, did honour the warranty."

I have just walked on to our trading standards office and they assure me the recourse is with the seller the warranty issue is irelevent.
Engine Warning Light and consequent disaster. - cheddar
The point is that the 3 year warranty at the point of sale commits (with certain t&c's) to provide the cover to the original purchaser and any subsequent owner within the three year period.

In that respect the new owner, the OP, has a contract with the manufacturer.

Yes, if the above mentioned t&c's are not met etc the OP has the fall back of his consumer rights re the seller though if he wants the car repaired the warranty is the best course hence the need for a letter to Jag.
I agree but its down to the seller to provide a car of mechantible quality and if required deal with the main dealer and not the purchaser.The seller is quite happily sat in the middle rubbing his hands whereas he should be paying for hire cars incidental costs and repairing the car or refunding the purchase price.
Engine Warning Light and consequent disaster. - Dan Brown
Check out xk8/r Enthusiasts Club Forum non member posting area. At least 2 xk8 owners have had same fault. One found fault was plugs and cylinder misfire.
The other was sensors on the throttle body. Hope this helps.