DVLA & Card Fraud. - Peter
Following a discussion with a friend on the renewal of tax discs on the DVLA web site, he informs me that after using a Visa card to renew the disc, the card was fraudently used to aquire goods via mailorder.

Has anyone else been trouble by fraudsters, after using the DVLA site. I for one renew all my cars this way.
DVLA & Card Fraud. - local yokel
You would hope that the DVLA would have good security. My guess is that this is a co-incidence, however, and that the friend's card was compromised in some other way.
DVLA & Card Fraud. - colin-e
I would have thought it unlikely that the card details were taken from the DVLA website - its more likely that your friends computer has been infected with some spyware / malware which has "harvested" confidential information (like card details), and sent it to some spotty criminal oik with a PC.

I'm always the first to lambast the DVLA, but in this instance I think the blame lies elsewhere (I'd love to be proved wrong, so I can climb on my anti-DVLA soapbox!)

Besides which, you should ALWAYS do your road tax at your local Post Office - they need the business to stay open, and every transaction helps!

----------------------------------
Colin-E
----------------------------------
DVLA & Card Fraud. - bell boy
I filled in a fraud confidential form for my credit card the other day as they told me its foolproof and im no fool
We will see

DVLA & Card Fraud. - Bill Payer
There was a DVLA employee involved in the car theft ring that was in court last week. The (presumeably now ex) DVLA man admitted corruption in a public office and incredibly was only sentenced to 200 hours community service.
DVLA & Card Fraud. - flunky
There was a DVLA employee involved in the car theft ring that was in court
last week. The (presumeably now ex) DVLA man admitted corruption in a public office and
incredibly was only sentenced to 200 hours community service.

There is little penalty for crime, short of murder, in this country any more.

A charity that I am trustee of has its bank details on the internet for donations, and on several occasions, people have signed up for Sky, mobile phone contracts, using it for the direct debit. The direct debit guarantee refunds the money, but clearly there is little risk of prosecution, the bank didn't care, because the retailer pays, there was no suggestion of police contact.

Shoplifting is a £50 fine - not much deterrent - if the security guard catches you, even if you assault him, then the penalty is minimal or nothing; people can commit dozens of burglaries and still spend just a few months inside.

Our imprisonment rate per 100,000 people is 1/3 of that of Singapore, yet Singapore is known as an orderly low-crime country - suggests that the best thing to do with criminals is to put them in prison for as long as possible. It works. Thieves in prison are generally not commiting any more thefts.
DVLA & Card Fraud. - Falkirk Bairn
To be jailed in the UK you must ahve committed a serious offence or a large number of previous offences and been given all the other chances b4 you are jailed.
DVLA & Card Fraud. - daveyjp
Security is only as good as the person holding the key. Call centres are full of key holders and a few security details for the odd bunch of tenners is tempting when you are on minimum wage.

I read a piece in a magazine about a guy who was so fed up with call centres he gets his wife to do all his telephone banking despite her not being the account holder. He gives her the info and she calls up - despite her being a woman and him being a man with obvious male and female voices a call centre operator has never queried that the person calling sounds to be a woman when the account is held by a male.
DVLA & Card Fraud. - deepwith
Unless you are female - a higher proportion of female prisoners are first offenders, and often for non-violent crimes. Recent figures show 32% of female prisoners are first offenders and often the only available parent to children whereas 14% are male first offenders and seldom responsible for any dependents.
DVLA & Card Fraud. - Hamsafar
Most women in prison are there for drugs smuggling. Certainly in Lincoln Women's it is 55%.