Should a driver inform the DVLA if they are diagnosed with glaucoma?

The Highway Code states: “You must report to the DVLA any health condition likely to affect your driving.” If an individual is diagnosed to have glaucoma but the individual does not believe that there is any impact on driving at this time. The individual’s treatment involves six month check-ups by an ophthalmologist monitoring the glaucoma and eye drops to control the pressure in the eyes and visits to an optician at intervals determined by the optician. Neither the ophthalmologist nor the optician has expressed any concerns that the glaucoma would have any impact on the individual’s driving. Is the individual required to report the glaucoma to the DVLA?

Drivers are legally obliged to inform the DVLA if glaucoma affects both eyes. However, a driver doesn't need to contact the DVLA if they are diagnosed with glaucoma in one eye and the other eye has a normal field of vision (or any other separate medical conditions that may affect it).

If the individual is unsure, we'd suggest they contact the DVLA. A driver can be fined up to £1000 if they don’t tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects driving. They can also be prosecuted if involved in an accident as a result of an undisclosed medical condition.