Ask a Question

Should we report medical problems to the DVLA?

My friend has some medical problems and I'm not sure if he should report them to the DVLA. His hospital consultants do not stop him from working out at the gym and say he is responsible for monitoring his own health. Is there a website or somewhere he can check to see what should be reported to the DVLA and where they draw the line between allowing people to drive and disallowing them?

Asked on by

If it's an eye problem, get them checked by an optician. Otherwise he should consult with his GP. It's a hassle, but on reaching 70 if you want to keep your 3500-7500kg and minibus up to 16 seat entitlements you have to undertake an eye test and a medical. That is actually good practice for everyone.
Similar questions
I was on the DVLA medical registry because of controlled epilepsy until 2017 when I was taken off after being epileptic event free for over 10 years and placed on the normal driver registry. Throughout...
Five weeks ago I had a total hip replacement and would like to know the rules governing when I can resume driving? I’ve searched online and asked a doctor and physiotherapist but no one seems to be sure....
I have to renew my licence which will take up to three weeks - meanwhile, can I drive to Germany?

Ask Honest John

Value my car