Got protected ncb but crashed -now what? - jeremyb
OK I protected my no-claims bonus but then wrote off my car recently. Am I now stuck with this insurer for the next 6 years? I usually shop around every year and play them off against each other, but will I basically now have zero no-claims bonus as far as all the other companies are concerned?

Thanks

Jeremy
Got protected ncb but crashed -now what? - FP
You won't have "zero no-claims", but you will have to give an account of any claims you have made, which will push up your premium. I have no idea whether protecting your no-claims bonus actually saves you money if you make claims, or not - maybe someone will come along who has inside knowledge of this.
Got protected ncb but crashed -now what? - PR {P}
No it doesnt work like that. Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Basically, you can shop around, put your claim in the relevant bit, then tell them you've got however much no claims bonus you had before. They may ask you to prove it was protected, but they will honour it. They work the premium out based on your details, including the claim, then they will apply the discount to your policy. In my case my premium went up slightly , but would ahve been far worse without the protection.
Got protected ncb but crashed -now what? - deepwith
After the "my fault" tree fell on my car I kept my 8+years protected no claims BUT subsequent insurers would not keep it as 'protected' - as you can see, it still rankles that I lose out for a tree falling on the car. Feel for all those who lost their cars last week, especially the woman who got a ticket for her car being on a double yellow (issued 15 minutes after the tree fell on her).
Got protected ncb but crashed -now what? - L'escargot
I think that whether you can pay an additional premium, and the amount, to protect your NCD depends on the particular insurance company you are with. They all have their own rules/conditions.
--
L\'escargot.