Clutch slip: what are the risks? - Lounge Lizard
I've got a manual 91 Volvo 240SE.

I think I've noticed occasional 1 or 2 moments delay in engaging higher gears, and rare momentary high revving disproportionate to road-speed. All in all, consistent with a slipping clutch.

This has been going on for a couple of weeks or so.

Is the clutch likely to fail completely without further warning? Or might it continue for a while yet; and get a bit worse as a warning before failing completely?

With this car, my aim is to minimise costs: it is a disposable vehicle which I will scrap at the drop of a hat. However, it's actually a useful runner that I'm happy with and it meets my current motoring needs. I am happy to get a new clutch if & when I really need to; I prefer elective maintenance to recovery & emergency repair.
Clutch slip: what are the risks? - Dynamic Dave
Why not start with the basics rather than leaving it to get worse - which it will do.

Is the clutch hydraulic or cable operated? Either way, try bleeding the hydraulics, or adjusting / replacing the cable to see if you can affect a remedy. It could be something as simple as that, or worse case senario, new clutch linings.
Clutch slip: what are the risks? - Peter D
Normally a slipping clutch is detected when pulling away or as you change into second. Do a couple of uphill pull aways and see if you can cause the slipp. If she is slipping and the clutch is releasing properly she won't last very long.
Clutch slip: what are the risks? - jc2
Alternatively,put your car in top gear,h/brake on,push the clutch down,start the engine and release the clutch slowly whilst giving it a few revs on the throttle.If the clutch is OK,you'll be able to stall te motor.
Clutch slip: what are the risks? - pmh
Try and determining the reason for slipping first.

Is clutch just worn out and will not (self) adjust further ? I made 120k on my 240 and no signs of slip by then.

Is it contaminated with oil? If so why?, it maybe a leaky oil seal and replacing the clutch plates is just the beginning of potentially large expenditure. ie scrap it sooner rather than spend money and then scrap it.

If it is oil it maybe possible to burn it off ( but only as a temp measure)to get a few more miles out of it but the risk is that you finally destroy it for good.
--

pmh (was peter)

Clutch slip: what are the risks? - defender
check the drain hole under the bellhousing isn`t blocked by dirt causing an odd pickup of oil on the flywheel