Insuring two cars - cdbr
I want to run a second car (cheap £800) through winter - what is the best way to get insurance and where. The no claims discount apparently doesn't carry to a second vehicle.
Insuring two cars - martint123
The no claims discount apparently doesn't carry to a second vehicle.

It does with the right insurer.
I'm with MoreThan and they will match NCB on a second car. Or so they said on my renewal paperwork.
Insuring two cars - bbroomlea{P}
My insurance company will transfer it to a second car as well providing its on restricted mileage - i'm with Elephant
Insuring two cars - Hugo {P}
Most companies will for some cars reflect the appropriate discount for another vehicle.

I may stand corrected but IIRC transferring your NCD will remove it from your first car, and you'll pay top wack on that. I nearly fell foul of this some years ago when we bacame a 2 car family. A swift change of insurers sorted that little problem out.

Hugo
Insuring two cars - bell boy
what about paying the fee monthly if reasonable and cancelling policy when no longer needed?
Insuring two cars - No FM2R
Depending on the driving restrictions then look around for someone who will offer a substantial introductory discount.

If you search this forum on "introductory discount" you should find a bunch more information.
Insuring two cars - Stuartli
There's a link in the left hand menu of this web page regarding insuring more than one car at a time - up to six in fact.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Insuring two cars - cdbr
Thanks all - this is useful and has got me thinking (an achievement in itself!).

This issue is being driven by my wife buying a new car and me thinking that for what I get for hers (trade bid £500) I might as well keep and run it through winter. The forecast of cold weather and our hilly unmade road/drive that makes me think it is better to keep my Merc in the garage because they are crap in the snow.

I called esure and they ran the story about the discount etc - but maybe what I should do is go to other insurers for her new car and keep the insurance on the old, which runs till January.
Insuring two cars - No FM2R
Assuming that;

-driving is restricted to just the two of you on the cars.
-neither of you have accidents/convictions and have had a licence for more than a year.

Then you should be fine ringing around other insurers for a substantial ID.

Should there be a third driver, then the last car would almost certainly be rated on them. Should one of you have had a bad claims history, then an ID is unlikely.

It sounds like you have three cars, so a good starting point would be your insurer and her insurer. After that it is just a matter of ringing around the usual suspects.

Also consider if one of your cars will nto be used at all for the winter. Insurers are often open to the idea of making one car laid up (F&T only) and transferring the risk to anotehr vehicle - typically for not much money. However, that would be hopeless if you think you're likely to use all thre vehicles.
Insuring two cars - cdbr
Thanks

Finally resolved this after alot of chasing around; insurer on my car (Direct Line) would offer the same discount to me (5years)on condition that the car wasn't regsitered in my own name, was kept at the house and wasn't used for anything oher than SDP (one or two other minor restrictions).

All with 12 mths interest free £20 ish per month, Fully Comp.

Insuring two cars - Collos25
That sounds a bit iffy,my insurance takes two cars full no claims on both no problems.