Resale Value Question - Trenton
Hi folks

If I buy a VW Polo 1.4 TD(52 Reg)which has had a new Main Dealer replacement same size engine put in (car NOT in accident) :

1. Does that replacement engine have a lower or higher resale price to a buyer (6,000 miles on new engine out of 34,000 on clock).
2. If I buy, do I have to tell my insurance company of the new engine.

Thanks.
Resale Value Question - DavidHM
1. At 34k, I'd say it lowers it because cars really shouldn't have new engines after 28k. It may not be due to abuse; the owner may simply have been unlucky and had a defective engine in an otherwise good car. However it would raise questions that the rest of the car might have been thrashed beyond its miles, so be careful. Above about 120k miles I would say that a new engine is a good thing but not on low mileage cars. I would get an HPI check and probably a physical vehicle inspection done.

2. Assuming it is to standard spec, I would say no, but you do need to make sure that the engine number on the V5 matches the engine that is actually in there. The insurance company is highly unlikely to see this as a modification and so there's probably no harm in telling them as it won't make a difference to your premium either way.
Resale Value Question - Trenton
DavidHM

Thanks for your input, interesting points you made for my attention especially V5.
Cheers.