Puncture repair techniques - peter
Previously posted, but it seemed to get lost amongst a log thread...any views please

In France punctures are routinely repaired using the 'old' english method of just inserting a single loop of rubber from the outside of the tyre. ( This is at major tyre quick fit establishments as well as small garages).
The rubber insert does come from a sealed pack, and appears to covered in a sticky goo. It has the advantage of being very easy and quick and cheap! The tyre does not have to come off the rim. £5 about 18 months ago. Also the tyre does not get rebalanced (I always mark stud to wheel). No problems.

I believe that this method of repair is not legal in the uk, but stand to be corrected.

I do however ensure that a tyre repaired in this way never goes back on the front, and preferably remains as a spare.

Interesting question of liability in the event of an accident in the uk?
Re: Puncture repair techniques - Tom Shaw
BMW supply just such a repair kit with their bikes, but they stress that the repair is only a get you home measure, and the tyre must be properly repaired as soon as possible. Like tyre sealants, I would not trust this method as a permanent measure.
Re: Puncture repair techniques - Andy P
I'd have thought that any repair carried out from the outside of the tyre always runs the risk of being forced out by the pressure of the air inside. This is the main reason why repairs are carried out on the inside, so the air pressure is always forcing the repair into the hole, rather than out of it.

Andy
Re: Puncture repair techniques - John S
Peter

I believe that this particular puncture repair method has been banned in the UK for years - at least 10 years, if not more - on safety grounds. The key risk is that the plug will be pulled from the tyre.

Most surprised that BMW supply such a kit for motorbikes - I wouldn't have thought they were exempt.

The issue of liability for foreign motorists is an interesting one. When you think about it, there are always exceptions made for temporary visitors otherwise nobody could ever motor abroad. Certainly any British car will not comply fully with French requirements. In the event it would come down to negligence I reckon - eg was the repaired tyre used on the front or rear or similar. That said, if the plug had pulled out, it may take close examination for it not to be put down to an 'act of god' puncture at the time!

Regards

John
Re: Puncture repair techniques - JohnD
Sitting on a shelf in my garage is a tall, cylindrical tin labeled Dunlop Tyre Repair Kit. It contains a tube of rubber solution, a few lengths of rubber about 6mm diameter, a pointed probe with an abrasive shank and another tool, rather like a crochet hook. The puncture hole was cleaned with the first tool and then coated with adhesive. A length of rubber was inserted into the hook, lubricated with adhesive, and the hook together with rubber was pushed into the hole. The hook was removed, leaving the rubber behind. The excess rubber was cut off, leaving it level with the tread. About an inch of rubber was inside the tyre. Needless to say, such kits have long disappeared from the shops, but in my younger days I used the kit many times.