Oil Filters - Mike Williams
I have a quantity of MotorCraft oil filters, part no EFL 90, which were originally intended for the 2 litre OHC Pinto engine fitted to the Ford Cortina range.

These filters look the same physical size as those fitted to the 2.5 litre Ford DI Deisel in the Transit. The filter part number quoted for the Diesel Transit is EFL 386.

Does anyone know what the difference is between these filters? They look the same on the outside. Are they interchangeable?

Mike
Re: Oil Filters - Simon
I can't help you with this particular oil filter, but I have had a few experiences of fitting different 'genuine' oil filters on the same car after being supplied different ones by main dealers. I believe that some have different levels of filtration within them, and the thread and the sealing ring are the same and I have had no problems with them.
Re: Oil Filters - steve paterson
Mike,
I think that you'll find that the thread size is different.
Steve.
Re: Oil Filters - David Withers
Mike, I don't know your particular filters but I am aware that oil filters can vary tremendously in various ways, e.g. filtration area and density, relief valve fitment (to allow oil to by-pass the filter when starting with very cold/dense oil), standpipe fitment (for filters mounted upside-down -- so they do not drain off overnight), machining swarf content and resistance to inward collapse.

Some off-the-shelf filters like Champion, if the correct one for the engine, are 'OK' but some makes can do more harm than good. From my engine design work, I would have no hesitation in naming FRAM as the leader for overall quality.
Re: Oil Filters - Charles
Mike

Do not use EFL90 on a Transit. Only EFL386 is suitable. EFL90's can be used on most Ford OHC(pinto), DOHC, and V6 applications where space allows on the latter.

Hope this helps

Charles