Peugeot 205 diesel cold starting - carayzee
A friend has an old 205 diesel G-plate - cold starting is taking ages, like 10-15 minutes in the cold weather.
I take it this is the glow plugs?
Do they all need to be replaced?
Are they easy to fit like a spark plug?

Thanks
Peugeot 205 diesel cold starting - Big Cat
Not necessarily, could be low compression - if you're unlucky.
Firstly check the glowplugs though, it's the cheapest way out. Use a meter to check current being delivered to the plugs and the time lag, usually 5 or 6 seconds on the 205.
Glow plugs are not difficult to fit and are relatively cheap on the XUD motor.
Peugeot 205 diesel cold starting - Peter D
I doubt you have a meter man enough to measure the 40 or 50 or so amps taken by the glow plug or even the 10 to 12 amps each. You could measure the resistance of each disconnect glow plug they should all be the same and less than 1.2 ohms. If they are all ok I would try priming the fuel system real well just before starting, you may have a air leak in the fuel system and the the fuel is draining back to tank. Common fault. If it stars after a prime then you have a leak somewhere. Regards Peter
Peugeot 205 diesel cold starting - Crinkly Dave
Lots of threads on difficult starting with this engine.

Advice on glowplugs covered. checking of valve clearances after 100k covered. Is the battery up to it?
Peugeot 205 diesel cold starting - carayzee
Thanks for the responses, I will try the resistance test. It is only in really cold weather where it happens. Fortunately when the car does get used it is driven from Edinburgh to the far reaches of the West coast so it gets a good charge to prepare it for another 15 minute cranking session.