Tricky Golf MK5 Prob - Jonwm {P}
Hello

I have just noticed that on my MK5 Golf 3 month old, that the lights that illuminate the top of the switch where you put your lights on, (not the actual light knob) the back lght to the hazzard switch and the red ESP backlight dont work.

But when you start the car and put the lights on they illuminate for about 5 secs then go off? really confusing, all the other illuminations are fine and the Yellow part of the ESP to tell you its off works?!

If it was the bulbs then they would not have all gone together and they would not stay on for just 5 secs?

Really dont have a clue and dont want to waste a day off work with my car in the dealer, i;ve had a nokia car kit fitted a week ago and seems coincidental this happens now after that, but thats wired to the stereo and getss its power from there and surely all the other backlights would go?

Any help very much appreciated!

JOn
Tricky Golf MK5 Prob - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Suggest your problem may well lie with the phone kit. Was it installed by VW? The dash and radio have their own controller (ECU) and are easily upset. As regards losing a day off work leaving the car at the stealers, no courtesy cars?
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Tricky Golf MK5 Prob - Altea Ego
And the phone kit should not be taking its primary power from the radio feed. It should take its power directly (via an inline fuse) from the battery and should be earthed (via an inline fuse) directly to the battery. Otherwise the kit can inject R F I into the power feed.

The only links from car kit to radio should be a mute signal and/or audio output.
Tricky Golf MK5 Prob - Jonwm {P}
My knowledge of the car kit installation is limited it was done by a mobile phone place so imagine it was done properly, i just assumed it got its power from there!
The more i think about it the more it sounds like the car kit, its just weird that they come on and stay on until you turn the engine on, i wonder if they have wired the ignition sence to the wrong wire or something?