VW golf/vento clutch weight - ventotrier
I have just parted, reluctantly,with a 1993 vento TD which had a heavy clutch. I'm told that this is typical for the diesel but was this true of the later (but still mk3)diesel golf/vento models say 97/98? alternatively has anyone experience of which petrol versions had light clutch actions? All remarks gratefully received.
VW golf/vento clutch weight - GGH
From GSF parts list I see that the diesel has the same clutch cable as my car. I have a petrol MK3 golf 8v 2L GTI which has a standard medium weight clutch. However I have found that the self adj cable can stick and become heavy, which also leaves pressure on the push rod and therefore wears out the centre of the pressure plate. Mine holed out at 90000 miles. I used to push multi grease into the self adj section of the cable and this helped a lot.I now use a manual adj cable from a mk2 golf cl 1.6L. I had to change over the bulkhead cable gaiters with the help of WD40 and fit an extra rubber washer at the gearbox end. I only have 1/4" freeplay to work with, any more and the over the centre spring at the clutch pedal will hold the clutch pedal down.I am now very happy with this setup but one must keep an eye on the freeplay.