US Dept of Motor Vehicles Test - Chas{P}
Saw a film last night on DVD and one seen was a room full of taking a DMV (Dept of Motor Vehicles?) test. One of the characters appeared to have a driving licence already.

Out of curiosity:

1. Is it like the UK theory test but you have to pass it every few years?

or

2. Do you have to re-take it and pass if you have been convicted of a motoring offence?

Charles
US Dept of Motor Vehicles Test - clachnacudden
I certain cases yes..they have various times you have to resit a test but most notably when you have been banned for sometime, say 6 months..

This applies solely to New York state, all the other states have their own rules...

Hope this helps
US Dept of Motor Vehicles Test - Chas{P}
clachnacudden

That's interesting you saying it's New York State only, the film "Sweet November" was based in San Francisco. Another Hollywood inaccuracy!

Many thanks for your reply.

Charles
US Dept of Motor Vehicles Test - clachnacudden
It may not onle be New York

California may well have this rule also..like I say everyone has their own rules that are similar and very different(driving age, freeway speeds, 5 hour driving course before the theory test,etc)

but what I will say is the driving test over there lasts about 5 minutes and is simple...
US Dept of Motor Vehicles Test - J Bonington Jagworth
"driving age"

IIRC, the driving age in some states was as low as 15, or is that ancient history now?
US Dept of Motor Vehicles Test - John S
Charles

I have friends who are currently living near Boston. The experiences of husband and wife varied, although both had had UK licences for many years

To get US licences they had to produce their UK licences and take the Massachusetts theory test, I believe similar to the UK theory test. One was then asked to undertake a short driving test on the road, whereas the other was given a Mass. licence without any test. I don't belive there's any automatic retest. Being the US there may well be state to state variation.

Regards

John