What Diesel? - scruffythedog118
Diesel cars, I love 'em.

I Have recently bought a W reg VW Passat 1.9 S TDI Tiptronic and to me, it's a superb car!
I previously owned a Mondeo 1.8 LX TD (manual) and then an Omega 2.5 GLS TD (auto) which was traded in for the VW.

What Diesel cars do other people own now & previously?

Personally I read a mag called "Diesel car" which gives very good info. on Diesels, they also have a recently new website which is also a good read, incl. a forum at www.dieselcar.com any body recommend other mags just for Diesels?
What Diesel? - 3500S
Recently bought a Rover 75 CDTi. Superb car, performance, ride and a very good drive.

Only done 1300 miles so far but it's turning into a real stormer. 0-60 in 11 secs and clocking just over 45mpg.

Can't recommend it enough.
What Diesel? - RichardP
I haven't bought Diesel car since about March this year and I just had a quick look at the website...what's going on at Diesel car?! I thought it looked a bit 'Max Power' with the 'Diesel Divas' etc. They're lovely, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't seem right?! It seems to have had a full revamp and I'll get a copy of the magazine tomorrow to see what's going on in derv land.
What Diesel? - sean
Really pleased to have seen what you wrote about "Diesel Car".

I was a regular subscriber and loved Dr. Diesel's wit and DM@il letters.

Last month's copy had topless ladies in and went down like a lead balloon with SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) and with me too, actually.

I was truly appalled at the tack. I've cancelled my subscription and will never buy it again.

I really miss the mag, as it was.
What Diesel? - leatherpatches
Yes, I hate looking at topless ladies too.
What Diesel? - sean
Not what I meant at all, as you well know.

I meant that "Diesel Car" was a highly respectable magazine, packed with info and professionally written.

What it was is now gone, to be replaced by what I wrote.

Topless ladies mags are OK, if that's what you want. They tend to be better at their subject than editors of diesel car mags trying to enter new fields, IMHO.

Car mags are found in general interest reading, whereas topless mags are top-shelf mags for DIY readers.
What Diesel? - volvod5_dude
Try a Volvo D5 my V70 does 0-60 in just over 9 secs and returns over 42 mpg even more on a run. There is more torque than a T5 and the in gear acceleration is amazing even fully loaded.

VD5D
What Diesel? - Marcos{P}
I am currently driving a W211 E-Class E320CDI and it is an animal.204bhp and 500Nmtorque, 0-60 is 7.5 and it will top 150mph. The pull in low gears has to be felt to be believed especially with 4 people in and luggage.
I'm thinking of getting it chipped up to 260bhp and with 600Nm/torque so it should then become a super animal. I'll let the backroom know if I get this work done.
By the way I love the car.
What Diesel? - Marcos{P}
I forgot to mention the best bit.
You can leave most reps lagging behind without even trying and without having to go over 3,000rpm.
It's kinda satisfying.
What Diesel? - Altea Ego
Currently running a laguna 1.9 dCi. love it it to bits. 53mpg at 85mph, 44 mpg crawling in town (i expect it to improve its only done 1500 miles) lovely spread of tourque.

Previous to that had Cavalier 1.7td (the isuzu lump) and a Pug 405 1.9. The rest were petrols.
What Diesel? - JohnM{P}
Hang on to that Laguna of yours - over 37000 miles in my 1.9 Sport Tourer I only once got better than 45mpg out of a tank, despite many motorway trips at an indicated 70mph. That's one of the main reasons I swapped it for a 25000 mile 110 Tdi Golf; driving it the same way over the same journies it gives approx 10mpg better consumption! (The Laguna trip computer was 10% optomistic... but the car was much more refined than the Golf)
What Diesel? - andymc {P}
As some here may know, I'm a big fan of diesels - there are two on my driveway now, a Seat Leon TDi SE and a VW Passat Sport, both with the 110 bhp engine. I've also had an old (1996) BMW 525 TD and a Renault Clio dci. All have pros & cons, but I probably won't buy another Renault. The engine was quite nice - refined and nippy even for a 65 bhp unit, and the most economical so far. Handled very well too, great fun to throw around. But the build quality was below par and the interior too cramped, even compared to other superminis.
The BMW was lovely to drive with excellent handling, but that version only had 115 bhp and was just too slow to really enjoy, plus the fuel economy was in the mid-thirties - good enough for a car that size, I know, but doing over 20k miles pa, that's not enough of a consolation every time another 80 litres go in. Could have been more comfortable, as headroom was a bit limited. Beautiful engine note though.
The Passat is smooth & quiet, quicker than the BMW was but nowhere near as good to drive - too wallowy. The most comfortable of the four though, and consumption in the high fifties.
The Leon is very nippy, with great handling - just goes where you point it and sticks to the road no matter how bouncy. It makes me want to take the B-roads home from work, just for the laugh. It returns mid-fifties mpg and is quite comfortable, although journeys of 3 hours or more are better taken in the Passat. It's well-built with no rattles or squeaks, and has the most standard kit as well. It combines the positive attributes of the other three without the drawbacks. I want another when the new one comes out!
andymc
What Diesel? - Nortones2
No longer have one, mainly as we developed an allergy to our local VW dealers! Had Audi 80 90hp TDI, then short spell with Golf 2.0 Gti, then Passat 110tdi. Strangely, the 90hp Audi gave more than expected acceleration at Mway speeds: must have been a good one. The Passat was OK, quiet, smooth, rapid up to the point the suspension became flummoxed, good economy. I was getting twitched by approach of cam-belt change and other aspects that I didn't trust our dealer to handle competently. So now have Civic type S (debadged!) which is fine, but requires neck-wringing by comparison, and is a bit flimsy.
What Diesel? - leatherpatches
Have just traded a 306 Dturbo in for a Civic Type R. It was a good car, taking me nearly 50k miles with only a new set of front discs needing replacing other than wear and tear items.

However, when talking about the w&t, the front tyres needed replacing before 10k miles each time, and this was further reduced by a tracking/alignment problem that I could not get sorted out. Also, it only returned high 30s mpg, which was simply not good enough when running a diesel that needed servicing every 6k miles. When factoring in depreciation on what is supposedly a desirable car, this car cost me far more than it should. Nowhere near enough to justify the change to derv.

I have had a 106 1.5 diesel for nearly 4 years now, and have been very pleased indeed with it. Returns 65mpg with g/f driving and 60mpg however I drive it. Totally unresponsive drive and the accelerator seems to be either on or off; there is no spectrum of development of acceleration. Having said this, I have covered over 50k miles from 36k to 86k and only needed one new starter motor in this time.

Now I have a petrol engine which gives me 30mpg full-to-full with the response I am looking for, I realise that a diesel has to be something truly special to warrant the extra expense. I look forward to driving one like Marcos' and I am still pleased with the 106, which makes an excellent second runabout car.
What Diesel? - bradgate
Surprised to hear you got such poor fuel consumption from your 306 Dturbo. I ran a 94L Citroen ZX TD for 3 years, which has the same XUTD engine as the 306. I got a consistent 45-48 mpg, mainly on M-ways and A roads. I'm not a particularly heavy footed driver, but i don't hang around either. The ZX TD and 306 Dturbo were among the best diesels available in the early 90's, but both now seem ancient when compared with VW group PD cars or the Focus TDCI, which illustrates the speed at which diesel technology has evolved in recent years.
What Diesel? - AlanGowdy
I'm a recent convert to diesels. Driving 500 miles a week I got fed up with 33-35 mpg fuel economy in my Rover 220GTi so I bought a Fiesta 1.4. Much better consumption - up to 45 MPG - but limp-wristed performance. It seemed you can't have your cake and eat it.

Then I was offered a 24 hour test drive in a Skoda Fabia Tdi and was more than impressed. It was better in almost every way than the Fiesta (apart from handling - too much body roll). The 100 BHP engine was a revelation. I almost bought one.

Another test drive in a Golf 130 Tdi decided me on the more powerful engine. But I was not prepared to pay the Golf price.

So three months ago, I bought a new SEAT Ibiza with the VW 130 PD engine. Now I have a car which would comfortably out-perform the Rover (mid-range performance is fantastic) and still give me 55 MPG. Also, because I pay for my own servicing and repairs, I've never felt happy revving engines hard at motorway speeds. The Ibiza purrs along at 2100 RPM at 80 MPH in sixth gear.

You could say that I'm well pleased I made the change to diesel.
What Diesel? - dodo
Well my diesel drives have ranged from the slow (new Primera 2.0d in 1995) to the exceptionally quick (Golf Tdi 150 and more recently a new BMW 330d 204 bhp). The best balance of economy and performance? Has to be one of the first ZX Turbo Ds which was a brilliant car and is still going strong eight years later. Biggest regret? New Saab 93 TiD in 2001. A great fan of the marque (I still own three classics)- Very noisy and poor to drive. Most surprising ... 88 205 D van bought while waiting for a car - a brilliant driving vehicle.
What Diesel? - bradgate
Agree completely. The Ibiza TDI 130 is the smallest, lightest car VW offer with this engine and is a true diesel GTI. I intend to buy one later in the year. Mid range acceleration and therefore overtaking ability is breathtaking and the Ibiza handles far better than the Golf GTDI or A3 TDI with more grip, more feel and les wallow. 55 mpg and single figure insurance group complete a very pursuasive package. The engine can be chipped to 170+ bhp, which gives stunning performance. Diesel Car magazine have done this with their long-term car. Just don't be tempted to buy a yellow one....
What Diesel? - Oldsinjun
Back in 2001 (18/8/01 - I still have a copy) Honest John published a list of Diesel Automatics plus his personal favourite Merc 220 CDi Auto.
I, and probably others would, would find it very useful if John could update his list and his current favourite.
How about it John ?
What Diesel? - PhilW
Won\'t go on about the selection of Austin and Transit diesel vans I drove in the early \'70s \'cos they were awful but have since driven Cit diesels from 1987 on. Never got less than 45mpg and the performance has improved immensely. Still drive a BX TGD which has done 150k, previous one did 170k, and my wife has had 2 Xantias - I get the cast-off cars - she gets the \"new\" ones! (one did 100k and current HDi has done 60k). Never had ANY work done on any of these engines. They just seem to go on and on. Keep hearing about the cost of \"extra servicing\" diesels need but I just change the oil & filter every 5k which is pretty simple even for me. My daughter has a Clio diesel which has done over 100k and it has only had oil changes also. (I am not talking about new brake pads etc here but only stuff done to the engine itself)
Like my wife\'s Xantia HDi - excellent performance for what we need - we aren\'t exactly boy racers! and the economy is great. Quick trip to France a couple of weeks ago and it did nearly 60 mpg. Same with my old BX - just under 60 mpg on long journeys.
I\'d like to try one of the new(er) Bms or MBs. But for what we use a car for I can\'t really justify the expense.
What Diesel? - BobbyG
My first diesel was a Citroen ZX - remember they did a big advertising campaign on it. So impressed with it that my next one was another ZX but Turbo Diesel, again very impressed and I could almost convince myself that I was a boy racer, even though it was a black estate and more resembled a hearse!
From there got a brand new Scenic Turbo Diesel which was fantastic, great driving, grunt when you needed it, have now upgraded to a new spec Scenic dci. Unfortunately, have to say that the dci is probably the worst of the lot. Yes its quieter but, contrary to Renault's blurb, it gives me less economy that the previous turbo diesel and it is most definitely slower as well ( I have now had it for 20,000 miles)
All cars have given me minimum 42 mpg.
Of them all, my choice would be the Scenic turbo diesel however none of them needed any work done to the engines at all.
What Diesel? - BobbyG
Oops, almost forgot, I have a Saxo Diesel just now that I use for commuting to and fro work, get a minimum of 65mpg and it keeps up with the traffic. Its now touching 55,000 miles and other than a timing belt change, just routine servicing!
What Diesel? - CM
First diesel car was 306xtdt, then a 325tds and now a 530d Touring.

In ordr of enjoyment the 306 came first (only just) then the 325 and last is the 530.
What Diesel? - Amin_{p}
I am aware that I might be rubbing against the grain of your little Diesel Max Power club, but here it goes. Its all very well saying for example ? my 200 horse power Merc Diesel is miles better than my previous 1.4 Astra? and concluding that the Merc is an ?animal? and its performance is awesome and so on, but I don?t think that?s much of fair comparison and valid conclusion. If like-for-like is compared the differences will be all but clear. As some of you might know, I have an AX 1.4 petrol and also an AX1.4 Diesel, apart from the engine these two cars are exactly the same in all other respects and were manufactured within 5 month of each other in 1991. Now if I was to compare these two, well, there is no comparison because they are totally different. The petrol is FAST (you can imagine that, after all it?s a 1.4 engine in a car made of plastic and tin, so the power to weight ratio is pretty good) , very nippy, handles excellent, and I ?enjoy? driving it, what I mean by that is that every time I press my foot down the accelerator I feel like I am back in high school and showing off to girl??. But the Diesel, now that?s a different story, the engine is about 100 K heavier which means the car handles absolutely crap and feels like you are steering a ship because of the extra front-end weight (there is no steering, tracking, alignment problem before you say it !!), when you press the accelerator you don?t ?feel? any excitement or you don?t hear any wonderful noise, then the acceleration leaves much to be desired (I think the 0-60 is about three and half weeks) and the worst bit is the engine noise. The AX is not renowned for its tough body work and basically as I said is made of plastic and tin, you can imagine how much of that diesel grinding noise comes in to the cabin, and you almost feel you are sitting on top of the engine). BUT here are the good bits, the diesel has done 140K, with only ONE cam-belt change (I inspect the belt at every oil change and I wont ?push? it if I felt the belt was on it way out) and is SO reliable it makes me want to break it on purpose so that I can fix it!!, I NEVER think whether the engine will start up, cut-out or play any other games whatsoever, and once I am on the M-way, the car really comes into its own. The petrol on the other hand, has only done 80K, and its an absolute mess. If its warm it worn start, it uses petrol like its duty free commodity, and I have had gear box, CV joint, Clutch, and all sorts of trouble with it. This is even thought when I obtained the cars the Petrol was in a far better state than the diesel. So when I drive my diesel I don?t kid myself by the horsepower figure or try to out-accelerate the guy next to me (who probably has a button on his steering wheel, whose pressing will release a nice and healthy injection of Nitrox into his engine), I drive it knowing that its more reliable, there are WAY less things to go wrong (no carb, no ignition system, that alone is enough), its will start in the morning irrespective of how hot/col/wet/dry/frosty/widny?.. the weather is, AND it RESPECTS my pocket and costs much less to use it. and you can do almost anything to it and it wont give up. The Diesels have to be taken for what they are and surely its cheap to try to pass them on as fake petrols. After all there is a reason why all racing cars use petrol but all trucks/cars/tanks/submarines/agricultural machines (and basically any other things that is required to work with minimum fuss, headache and cost) are Diesel.
What Diesel? - Marcos{P}
Amin,

If you go to the Mercedes website and look at the power output and performance figures for the W211 E320 petrol and E320CDI diesel I think you might be surprised.
The diesel is quicker in every respect but it is in everyday driving that it beats the petrol version hands down. I have driven both and the petrol version is a wonderfull car to drive, the diesel version is a superb car to drive. It has so much torque that driving it is just so effortless and if you want to go quick that too is effortless.
The fuel consumption is much better with the diesel and hopefully the running costs will be too.
I'm certainly not trying to pass my car off as a fake petrol car as then I would be putting my car down.
What Diesel? - Amin_{p}
Marcos, you are right. I did go to check and I WAS surprised. The CDI was the same capacity as the petrol one (3.2) and it delivered almost identical performance (0-60 7.7 sec for both, 149mph diesel 151mph petrol) with half the MPG of the petrol one!!!! wow, beats me. I consent, indeed, you do drive an animal!! Happy driving, but don?t forget us, in ?normal? agricultural diesels!!!
What Diesel? - Marcos{P}
Thankyou Amin,
I'm sure ALL diesels will become better and better over the next few years and become less and less agricultural. I was a passenger in a new Laguna 1.9DCI yesterday and the engine was just so smooth I didn't believe it was a Renault diesel. A super little car.
Just a small point but the figures you quoted are slightly wrong. 149mph petrol and 151mph diesel is what is should read.
What Diesel? - Burnout2
Intellectually, I know that modern diesels can make excellent sense these days; the torque advantage makes them feel lively in real-world driving situations, especially around town, and there are substantial fuel economy savings. I know from being a passenger in a few (including the new Laguna) that refinement is no longer an issue.

I know all this and yet emotionally I could never, ever buy one. All the ultimately fastest, most exciting and most aurally stimulating engines in the world are petrol. No question.

I'm not completely closed-minded though. If someone wants to lend me a new 330d, or a Touareg V10 for a two year evaluation, I'll give it serious consideration...