Mazda 3 1.6 petrol 2012 - Whirring noise from alternator - catsdad

Using the Mazda today I have noticed a mid pitched “mechanical” whirring noise from the alternator when the ignition is switched to the first position. When I then turn the ignition further the car starts without a problem and with the engine noise it’s impossible to tell if the whirring noise has gone or not. Checking a second time there was also a second noise that sounded more “electronic” also from the alternator. Again this prior to the engine starting.

There a lot of stuff online about noisy running alternators but nothing very clear about noises before start. I will book it into the garage next week but it may be a few days before they can look at it as I know they have a lot on. We will try to avoid using it meantime but am I worrying unnecessarily, do all ageing alternators make noises and it’s just that I have never noticed before?

Mazda 3 1.6 petrol 2012 - Whirring noise from alternator - elekie&a/c doctor
An alternator is unlikely to make any noise until it starts Spinning with the engine running . The noise is more likely to be part of the engine control system Being initiated.

Many thanks elekie. I am sure you are right. Its hard for me to tell exactly where it is coming from as I am fairly deaf in one ear so I hear in mono.
I will let you know what the garage says when they’ve had a look and listen .

Well the garage looked at it today and have rung to say it’s the power steering. Sure enough when I google I find the Mazda 3 is known for making noises from the power steering and it’s not a fault. I haven’t had the car back to check for myself that the noise I hear is coming from there.

Edited by catsdad on 28/09/2020 at 17:03

Mazda 3 1.6 petrol 2012 - Whirring noise from alternator - Andrew-T

Maybe the garage has googled too ? :-)