MINI One - Car insurance claim against me - Oli22222

Hi

Just after some advice.

In June last year I went into the back of someone at a roundabout at 5 mph we pulled over and I couldnt see any damage not even a scratch on the bumper. He also agreed he couldn't believe how little damage there was (if any). We exchanged details and I thought nothing would come of it. We were in contact however his texts seemed to progress from no damage at all to lots of damage scratches and dents all over the bumper apparently. This was after it had been " assessed by a "garage". I submitted pictures to my insurance of his car showing clearly no damage. 6 months later turns out my insurance company has paid out based on the third party's engineer report stating very minor damage but it's cost 700 pounds. I thought this was outrageous and I'm convinced this has been wildly exaggerated from the garage to get a pay out. From the view of the naked eye there was nothing there! I've been in contact with my insurance and I am now requesting the engineers report to see what this so called damage is but they are hiding behind data protection. They saud they can get their engineer to assess the report and say what had been done but I truly feel robbed. Most people would just leave this and forget it but this person was determined to get a payout it seems.... I was wondering if there is anything I can do to challenge this and of I am entitled to see the actual report? It just feels so wrong for such a minor incident where there was no visible damage. The guy actually works at my place so I even got another good look at it after the incident and there was nothing there.

Thanks

Oli

MINI One - Car insurance claim against me - gordonbennet

Your insurer was probably quite relieved the bill was £700 and not a whiplash, credit hire replacement vehicle, loss of earnings, you name it, kompensayshun claim to the tune of £10k.

The amount probably wasn't worth contesting from their point of view, hopefully it hasn't impacted on your premium too much.

To be fair there could have been unseen damage behind the bumper.

MINI One - Car insurance claim against me - Gibbo_Wirral

To be fair there could have been unseen damage behind the bumper.

When someone ran into the back of me I thought I only had a cracked back bumper.

But when I looked in the boot, the boot floor was all creased - the towbar on the back of my car transferred the damage.

MINI One - Car insurance claim against me - Manatee

Put it behind you, the only person who is going to suffer as a result of you pursuing this is you, winding yourself up.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for details of damage claimed for, but where is it going to get you? Your insurer is not going to un-pay the claim.

When I started reading the story I thought it was going to end with 5 cases of whiplash and a £20,000 claim.

Who the hell gets an "engineer's report" for a scratch? I doubt if your insurer has spent much time on the claim.

MINI One - Car insurance claim against me - Andrew-T

How have you been 'robbed' - has your premium gone up? Have you had to pay an excess? Or is it just the principle?

There probably has been some skulduggery, but unless you are personally disadvantaged I don't see there is much you can do.

MINI One - Car insurance claim against me - Ethan Edwards

700 quid is very cheap for a repair cost. That's probably just a bit of filler and some paint, for one panel. You got off light.

MINI One - Car insurance claim against me - Leif
I would fight it. Surely you have a right to see the report given that it is the basis of a claim against you. Insurers tend to agree knock for knock or give in to avoid costly legal action, which is improper behaviour, and you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman if you think that has happened. As for your insurer giving you a summary of the report, I’d be suspicious given that it is now in their interest to fob you off.
MINI One - Car insurance claim against me - Wee Willie Winkie

About 15 years ago I was reversing out of a cul-de-sac on the Isle of Sheppey (a dump of a place) that didn't have a turning area at the end - I was towing a car trailer so didn't gave a lot of choice. Anyway, I reversed at a very low speed into an old shed of a Ford Fiesta. No damage to the trailer and a small scratch to add to the collection already there.

Gave my details like a good boy. Found out months later my insurance had paid out nearly a grand.

Chalked it down to a life lesson. I knew the owner of the Fiesta was extracting the urine, but what good would jumping up and down do after the event?

As far as I recall, it didn't make any difference at renewal.

MINI One - Car insurance claim against me - madf

Life is too short. You will become obsessed. Move on.

MINI One - Car insurance claim against me - Manatee
I would fight it. Surely you have a right to see the report given that it is the basis of a claim against you. Insurers tend to agree knock for knock or give in to avoid costly legal action, which is improper behaviour, and you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman if you think that has happened. As for your insurer giving you a summary of the report, I’d be suspicious given that it is now in their interest to fob you off.

Fight for what? The collision was his fault. The insurers had conduct of the claim, and they paid it, not the OP.

£700 is about the minimum for a non-fault claim. The third party's insurers will have punted it to their claims management arm who will probably have offered a credit hire car at £100 a day.

There is no damage to the OP's car, he has no excess to recover. So far it has cost him nothing.

Why would in be in his insurer's interest to fob him off? They are the party out of pocket here.

He might or might not suffer a materially increased premium, but I suspect it will be modest if anything.

He has insurance, he hit somebody, the insurance paid out. That's what it's for.

MINI One - Car insurance claim against me - Leif

Although the collision was his fault, the issue is whether or not there was any damage to the other vehicle, and if not then the other party is making a false claim. It is known that insurance companies sometimes cave in rather than fight because the latter involves legal fees, and it's better for them to concede.