Notice of intended prosecution for unknown vehicle - confused72

I have just received a notice of intended prosecution & request for driver information for a vehicle I have no knowledge of, from a part of the country I have never been to. However, the letter is obviously addressed to me and has my correct name and address.

Not sure how to proceed and what to respond with. Any suggestions? Can I call up DVLA to check if someone has registered that vehicle in my name? How else could I be served with this letter for an unknown vehicle?

cheers

confused & worried driver

Notice of intended prosecution for unknown vehicle - Dwight Van Driver

Sounds like an admin error at the office of the sender with wrong VRM punched in.

Write back and inform them as your post within 28 days.

If you get anymore such correspondence then time to take the matter furthger with DVLA/Police

dvd

Notice of intended prosecution for unknown vehicle - Ian D
Keep a copy of your letter and any others and send them
Registered post with a signature at the other end, just in case there are problems...
Notice of intended prosecution for unknown vehicle - oldroverboy.
And go to the police straight away. Could be cloned plates or person checking photo misread if a speeding ticket..
Don't delay.
Notice of intended prosecution for unknown vehicle - slkfanboy

The police will not be able to help call the DVLA and follow up with letter.

Notice of intended prosecution for unknown vehicle - galileo

If you search the 'legal matters' for my post of August 12th last year you will see a similar problem which we sorted by recorded delivery letters to both DVLA and the issuing court. Turned out to be human error at the court and/or DVLA but put right quickly.

Notice of intended prosecution for unknown vehicle - Logician

Forget registered post, just get a free postal receipt.